8.01.2003

Jobs and Growth: Just Wait
(or Revenge of the Recently Downsized)

On July 24, John Andrew of Northfield, MN, was downsized from his job with a software company, becoming one of the 930,000 workers who were laid off since March. On July 29, George W. Bush’s economic team started its swing through Wisconsin and North Dakota to tout the so-called rebound of the American economy.

Jobless John decided to tail them.

At the drive-in of a Culver’s restaurant in my hometown of Wausau, Wisconsin, John had an accidental encounter with Treasury Secretary John Snow, who, surrounded by G-men, approached the open window of John’s "Economic Reality Tour" minvan:
"What's your story?" Snow says.

I tell him I was laid off last week & saw that he was coming & I thought it was important to come here and let him see the reality of what's going on in today's economy.

"What industry were you in?"

"Most recently the software industry."

"That's a particularly vulnerable part of the economy."

"Yes, well, I need a new job & it doesn't look good."

"Just wait," he said. "The first tax cuts haven't really taken effect. So just wait... the second tax cut... well, it' won't hit the economy for several months, but I'm sure you'll get a job."

"But, but... we've already lost over 900,000 jobs just since March first... a job at Wall-Mart just won't support my family."

"Just wait, I'm sure you'll find a job."

At that moment the car in front of me pulled ahead for their order and John stepped back from my window. The SS agents signalled for me to pull ahead.

"Just wait?!" I've got a $350 payment for this minivan, a mortgage and two kids! Here's a guy who drives a few hundred miles to see you, four days after he's been laid off, and you tell him to "just wait?"

Boy I'd like to see those words on a PR banner behind Snow at the podium: Jobs and Growth: Just Wait.
Meanwhile, in California, a jobless woman named Bridget is running for governor to cast light on the issue of unemployment.

(Via Cursor.)

No comments: